View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I don't know how often the Atlanta area or the New Orleans area (wherever your mother lives today) has power outages, but she will be ready for the next one, if and when...maybe....I would think your mother's Flavoradio would be worse than useless in any emergency worse than a power outage these days for that reason.
Well, I had picked up a second hand battery-operated weather radio with an alert for her about six months before she moved back home. It didn't have "SAME" but proved useful nonetheless - woke her up at least once for a tornado warning the next county over.

We have one AM station (WWL, which also simulcasts on FM) that is very dependable for news/weather coverage during the day, and although they've slipped a few times they've often covered weather events live in the wee hours. We used to have WDSU-TV 6 to fall back on - their audio signal was on the bottom of the FM dial.

Truthfully, I can count on my transistor and weather radios and the rotary dial phones when the power fails.