View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
Thanks for the advice on the diodes Tom. I actually have those in stock. So, just to be clear, I'm soldering the 1N4007s in parallel to pins 4 & 6 of the 5Y3. Everything I saw online referenced the diodes in series, so I just wanted to make sure before proceeding.

Regarding my chassis transformer, it is the correct part # for a 5Y3 - appreciate the tip though.

Thanks again!

Scott
Hi Scott, yes you understood Tom correctly as far as the parallel wiring. With the diodes in parallel with the 5Y3's diodes, you are eliminating the 5Y3's voltage drop. If they were in series, the voltage drop of the 5Y3 would still be present in the circuit. Also, if you put the diodes between pins 4 & 6 you will create a dead short across the transformer's HV secondary, what you need is one diode from pin 8 to pin 4, and another from pin 8 to pin 6, with the diode's cathode side being connected to pin #8. The one other thing that bears mention here is whether the B+ is taken off of pin 8 or pin 2, if the B+ is taken from pin 8 put the diode's cathodes there on pin 8. But, if the B+ is taken from pin 2, put the diode's cathodes on pin 2 instead of pin 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (7.5 KB, 10 views)