View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

For CAD I mainly used SketchUp when it used to be free and PC based versus web based. I also purchased Rhinosceros 1.0 years ago and PCs seemed underpowered at the time for running it. I recently tried Tinker CAD which is free (online use). It's function seems similar to SketchUp. I purchased Agisoft Metashape years ago for 3D scanning objects using a 35 MM camera. it's 3D object output (STL or OBJ) was more in line with Meshlab and Meshmixer. I haven't used FreeCAD or Fusion360. I have an Inventables userID which is a package tailored more for CNC. They sell have high end software called Easel. I purchased DeskProto software for my CNC. It allows importing standard 3D STL files and then builds a custom workflow toolpath for CNC. Deskproto allows manual flipping the piece of wood or using an auto rotational mechanism. I like Meshlab but use Meshmixer to analyze and fix problems. Meshlab requires a list of a dozen commands to fix object errors while Meshmixer does it graphically with graphical pinheads pointing at each problem area. You select the pinhead pointing at a hole etc with your mouse then push the fix button. It also has a fix all but it gives undesirable results. Meshmixer also has a undo cntl Z facility.