Thread: Radio Jay Allen
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 10:00 AM
M is for Memory

It is fairly good in the AM band too* (it is basically my go to DX rig). I've gotten WBBM on it at night quite clearly if you ignore atmospheric fading while staying in Atlanta...I was even able to get WBBM from Lakeland Fl...But the Cuban stations made listenability extremely poor.

*It covers LW continuously up through 29999KHz including broadcast AM in it's AM mode....The only separation between 'AM' mode bands is that the auto fast-scan will loop back to the other end of the sub bands when you hit them and beep to inform you of it. From what I've seen performance is VERY consistent across the AM mode frequency range. I've tuned in hams running ~1KW(IIRC) in AM mode out of the Chicago area on it from Lakeland Fl at night on the ham bands just above the AM broadcast range (granted I needed my 100' long wire antenna to read that guy well).

It is very well built. I got mine when I was ~14-15 years old, and while I took/take great pride in it and try to take good care of it, I dragged that thing around with me everywhere for years, dropped it, shook it, scraped it spilled food/drink on it, etc. many times and it still keeps on ticking as good as ever (save for some small scratches and bits of the the leatherette recently wearing off parts of the carry pouch)...If mine was lost, stolen, or destroyed tomorrow I'd go and buy another without a second thought...I've gotten my monies worth of enjoyment out of it and then some.

One thing you may also like is that it has a line out. I've hooked it up to my stereo, and to timed MP3 recorder players to capture broadcasts I wanted to hear but not stay up for.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4