Thread: Radio Jay Allen
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I envy you your E-5 (G-5) even though it is larger than I want, while they down-sized the new Satellit which is why I'm considering it as well. In fact, after a good bit of reading, I've decided one of these three will be my next radio:

Sangean ATS-405, about $80.
Eton Satellit, about $125.
Sony ICF-SW7600GR, about $160.

Okay, the Sangean is not likely the choice of most SWLs. I'm not currently a SWL. Would that change with a better handheld than my old Panasonic RB-40? I honestly don't know. With SW stations having been dropping like flies... All I can say is that the few stations I have received have been of very little interest to me. AM dxing provides the fun of lots of available channels and trying for a best catch, like an electromagnetic game of solitaire, but more interesting. And there's ballgames. Then why buy a multiband? They seem to comprise the best handheld models of radio, period. So maybe the Sangean is all I need.

On the other hand, if I'm to buy a radio which includes multiple bands, shouldn't I go ahead and buy a better model? That's certainly a valid way to look at it, I suppose. And that brings me to the next two on the list.

It's the build quality of the Sony vs the updated feature set of the Satellit, when you get down to why each is on my list.

So... which will I buy?

Already ordered it this am. The Satellit was the obvious choice in the end, once I considered my needs, likely use, and price. Naah, 'obvious' overstates it a bit for me, because I do find the build quality of the Sony exemplary is this size and price range. Thanks for helping me sort this out, guys.

EDIT: It's funny, I can select a preamp, amp or speaker with much more confidence than I can a radio. Have buyer's remorse already, and haven't even seen one in the flesh yet. Oh, well, it's Amazon, and I can return it if I want, but it's supposed to be here tomorrow. I guess if someone built a perfect hand-held, few of us could afford it, and quite a number of folks would modify it to improve its performance. Probably succeed, too. Immaculate reception.

Last edited by musichal; 10-02-2016 at 01:07 PM.