View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 03:22 PM
M is for Memory

I think I may have finally ended the power steering/brakes leak...I started commuting in the Lincoln again in the last few weeks and the Tuesday after the ETF when I went back to work I noticed the engine was smoking profusely when the wheel was turned, and that the PS pump reservoir was totally empty, I topped it off and later had a look with the hood open this time the leak was obvious and large on a pressure hose coming off the pump...It used to leak a bit but only if I cranked the wheel to the stop and held it there. Since I knew what part that was leaking (never could find the leak before) I now could fix it.

I was able to get the line/hose hybrid off easily everywhere but on the end that connected to the brake booster...After starting to round it I bought a line wrench, which finished the job of rounding it...After some futzing I finally decided to commit to changing the line even if it meant a new hydroboost unit....I cut the metal line off at the stuck fitting on the hydroboost then ground the head of the fitting down until I could hammer a socket, the next size down, onto the fitting. The socket and breaker bar finally got that fitting loose (it did what a day of penetrating oil hosings, heat, and the proper tools could not).

T'was fun fishing the new line in. It goes under the car near the radiator snakes it's way along the frame/suspention, pops up between the steering gear and the exhaust weaves between break spark, and PS lines to the brake booster, in a way that took a lot of thought/skill to remove the old, and more still to install the new...

The good news is that it does not seem to be leaking anymore...bad news is I'm thinking about changing the pressure line/hose between the brake boost and steering gear, and and the return hoses as preventive maintenance...Before I got that stuck fitting out of the boost I tried to loosen the pressure line out of the boost and it did not want to go so if I get around to changing those hoses it probably will be 'fun'.

I think I'll wait till I change the wheel bearing on the GMC...I wanted to do that earlier, but I was too busy this weekend helping build a screen enclosed garden for ma.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4