View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 01:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schanz View Post
Saw a tube tester locally on CL. It's a national radio institute 1185 which I believe were made by triplett in the 40's? So how old is too old for a tester?
First off, to my knowledge N.R.I. was a correspondence type of school and much of what I have seen or owned was made at home by students with the parts provided by the school. It may still exist in some form, but it seems to me that the name changed somewhere along the way as a "radio" school wouldn't draw a big student body.

A number of years ago I acquired a deceased repairman's entire compilation of books and two pieces of his home built equipment. All I knew was that I had a power supply chassis and another with a c.r.t maybe 3" diameter. I guess it was an oscilloscope. All I know is I placed an ad (maybe here) for the stuff and some big time collector sent me a check for $900 sight unseen (not even a picture). With that being said, you may want to put it in the classifieds!

As far as practical use, I don't know what you work on, but you can look at the sockets and see your limitations. It would probably be find if you are doing early radio only. It certainly looks nice and well built having more of a manufactured look than what I had which was very bare bones to say the least.