View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Good question! I would think this probably dates from the late 1970's. In my senior year of high school (1981) we got a computer in the library, and no one had a clue what to do with it. I can't imagine an elementary school having a computer prior to the mid-late 80's at the earliest, so what this actually is who knows? The teletypes would have been used to interface with a mainframe, so again, super expensive and hard to imagine in an elementary school. Such setups were still in use in colleges in the early 80's here. Perhaps the kids were visiting a college computer lab?
Don't forget that two kids named Paul Allen and Bill Gates got their start when the Parent-Teacher Council put their pennies together and rented a timeshare on a local system. Time sharing was indeed expensive but not outside of the realm of a school to use, especially if one connection was rented and the teletype was shared among multiple schools using a Modem connection. At 1:45 you can clearly see two Bell datasets stacked in the corner.

Quote:
I wonder if they were remote linked to a mainframe
A teletype is merely an electromechanical terminal. It could only handle math if connected to a computer.

Last edited by MIPS; 12-20-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Audiokarma