View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Considering they sorta came and went all within the late 70's and 80's....they are put together relatively well. The Magnavox one I have resembles the little standalone "Shadow" 4 inch sets of the late 80's. I'm pretty sure both of mine are from the mid 80's.

I think they survive pretty well because they are not really portable...so you won't find them "tossed around" and banged up like most "micro" sets. Both mine are absolutely pristine, and that Emerson up there looks to be as well. They likely sit on a shelf in a bedroom for ten or twenty years...and then got replaced by a color TV....and then an LCD. I've only seen "dusty" and dirty pots really. As I mentioned before...they seem to have really good AM tuners compared to any newer crap. Older AM radios just seem to matter more at the time.

I also have one of those RCA "Lunar" clock/radio TV sets as well. That one is in good shape...but is yellowed some, and does require flipping the channels sometimes to get the tuner to wake up again (needs a good cleaning). It's flip-clock still keeps perfect time too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_2145.jpg (71.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2146.jpg (62.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2147.jpg (56.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2148.jpg (63.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.