View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pogress, but small vertical sweep.

Finally have a watchable picture but still a ways to go. My latest focus problem was a 100k resistor across the focus coil cooked its way down to 1700 ohms! I also found missing resistors in the horizontal osc stage. The most pressing issue for now is the vertical sweep. All vertical caps have been replaced except the cathode electrolytic. The tube has been swapped with no improvement. A couple out of tolerance resistors replaced as well. Can someone tell me what the deal is with the VDR? They never went bad in the old days but time could create a new scenario after 45years. The controls work, just not enough vertical gain.

I did find a bonding agent for the CRT base called Loctite GO2 from home depot. It seems to grab onto anything and when cured it has the feel of silicone with very little flex. It cures clear. The package indicates it should take the heat...Time will tell. The CRT was showing signs of being intermittent so I re-flowed all the pins secured the base after seeing stability return. The emission is good on all guns

This restore has not been fun at all due to the previous attempt to fix it. There have been poor choices in part substitution, values changed in an attempt to "make it work". Added to that this set shows signs of very high hours manifested as heat damage to terminal strips, heat blasted wire, and this chassis wins the Most Number of Out of Tolerance Resistors award of any restore or repair I have done.

End of rant