View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Late-model filter can contents

This was tied to a CTC110B chassis from 1982. I thought it unusual to see an old-style filter can on such a recent chassis. It was a single-section can though.

I want to rebuild the cans in my Admiral so I thought I would get some practice by taking this one apart. I used heat to remove the guts as described in the sticky above. The tar holding everything in was almost entirely at the top. I was surprised to find cutouts for three other terminals in the rubber and plastic spacers. I didn't have to snip the plate lead as it was detachable.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to rebuild these so that they can be maintained easily but look as close to original as possible. Hopefully I won't completely destroy this one while experimenting, but if I do, no big loss.

I decided to take a picture due to the differences between this can and the one in the tutorial. Interesting if nothing else. I didn't melt the rubber spacer, I damaged it with the pliers. Also, I eventually learned how to pry up the bottom edge of the can without damage. I found prying and lifting at the same time turned the trick.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:03 PM.