View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

My take on capacitors in the past 3 decades is largely based on whether or not a unit was used either not at all, or way too much. I say this because I have radios and a couple of TVs that work fine on all original caps. I believe whole heartedly that it is because the set was used only periodically through the years but never set in a basement or attic for decades without use. Most of the time the ones chunked away in storage aren't just going to pop on like the day they were put there.

Then there are TVs and electrolytics which some people believe are the first thing to get rid of. I have found that they hold out pretty darned good if you bring them up slow. Its the non polarized stuff that needs to go. Particularly paper and the early brownish "drops" that need to go. It's good training to try to just repair a set (easier with a radio), but often you will get lost as when you find one thing that is wrong another is going wrong, or is wrong at the same time. A little different than normal troubleshooting.