View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
So here's something I'm curious about. I have an SDTV here (digital, 2009 set with component input). It's badged as an SDTV, but it DOES accept 480p input, and displays it in progressive scan. So clearly it's an EDTV (Ironically the ATSC tuner spits out 480i, so that's really weird).

But how often did manufacturers do this? It seems like a wasted effort to claim something is less than it really is, considering how manufacturers like to lie about things and sell them as more than they really are.
The set you describe sounds like my first digital TV - Sylvania 6427GFF (actually a Funai product). In fact, the set in your icon looks like one. Mine sits unused in my daughter's bedroom.

I believe that its display/scanning system is limited to the 15750 (15734.nnn) line rate set by the needs of its flyback transformer. Flybacks are reasonant to a particular frequency. If the line rate were to be vastly different, the flyback could overheat.

Publications often made mention of EDTV as a format, for years between the earliest planning agreements (Grand Alliance) and the introduction of the first DTV products, more than a decade later ($5,000 plasma sets and Voom satellite HD service), but, once DTV sets actually became avaiable to the public, EDTV somehow never showed up to the party.