View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

An update: I finished the radio I was working on so last night I drug the 123 chassis in and hoisted it up on the bench-no small feat! Tonight I did some cleaning and got a start on the long recapping job. Some observations:
1) I found the petrified remains of a mouse at the bottom corner, right up against the AC input Before it expired it ate about a third of a wax-paper capacitor (one of the few in this set). The good news is it didn't make too much of a mess.
2) This set uses the odd 6M3 damper with a top cap; Nick installed one, NOS, but where was the top lead? I was concerned thinking a wire might have been ripped from the flyback. Well, it turns out that somebody previously wired the socket for another tube type and they just cut the lead short and soldered it where needed. It should be fairly simple to rewire this back to where it was.
3) This uses a concentric horiz.center/vert.center control (2 watt/4 watt, 100 ohm each with 45 ohm center tap on the vertical). It was partially loose as found and trying to turn both pots tells me that both have turned to Crispy Critters inside. Hopefully the recap will take care of the cause; finding a decent replacement could be a challenge. Sams only lists the Philco pn (33-5546-66) no listing at Playthings of the Past. Most likely I'll just have to get creative.

Elsewhere under the chassis I found a small electrolytic with one lead disconnected. Adventures lie ahead! More photos soon.