View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
The little Sony 10A is one of those "slopy" (and "sloppy") 2" Watchman sets. I thought something wasn't quite right with it.....and then put a crosshatch on my little media player/transmitter to see what was up. Luckily....I ran into the thread here about these having odd geometry before tearing into it thinking it was supposed to be perfect.

My first thought when I saw the problem was "Oh jeese...It's a SONY, so OF COURSE it's supposed to be perfect...and this one is broke".

Now.....I realize it's meant to be a small portable set, and nobody really should be watching these and being critical with the picture. I still find it amazing they can accomplish a (relatively) square picture that IS focused both top and bottom with the phosphors at that angle. This "magic" makes me afraid to really work on one, since I don't see anything to read on how they accomplish the trapezoidal raster....and focus being (again..relatively) sharp both close AND far from the gun.