View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Picture? Sure to be a rare one, as GE used transistors/JFETS for the RF amp, and the LA1201 for the IF/Oscillator, with bandswitching either by mechanical switch or a transistor-based switching arrangement.

The LA1201 was in many other products from Sanyo/Fisher, GE, and even a cheapo Pioneer tuner I have. The variants included a Narrow Band variety (used in the superadio and the Pioneer tuner) and others with less performance. A look at an ECG or NTE manual and you'll see all the variants cross to the same (wideband) NTE/ECG part, hence the insistence by GE to use their EA33X367 - the narrow band was key to the Superadio. I can think of only a few times ever replacing the chip - most of the warranty stuff was open power transformers, open emitter caps in the audio (.47uF 16V Rubycon Electros) and the odd switch pad on the Superadio clock radios - the carbon soft touch switches would fail.

We did a booming business in the antenna arena - EA83X### part-numbered antenna rods. The GE line of 1978-79 "Silver/Gray" military-looking radios had some cheapo antennas that we must have replaced a dozen or more of - the Russell replacements were all too thin in diameter, so we had to use the GE antenna rods. In 1984, GE started rebadging Sanyo boomboxes, as Sanyo used mostly Fisher-branded stuff outside of Japan. We'd get the year's service lit, with GE labels applied over some of the cover pages - the preliminary data was all Sanyo, and a month later we'd get the final GE manual with the GE EA or EW part numbers instead of the 13/14/16 digit Sanyo part numbering. On some parts, we'd order from SFS and get them faster or cheaper than through GE - a pleasant benefit of having the preliminary service lit....

Cheers,
Well go talk to some of the other guys who replied in this thread, NOT me, I was only going by what the others said in their posts on my threads concerning this and my GE "Fidelity I" clock radio which was where everyone on there said that they thought that maybe my "Fidelity I" clock radio might share the chipset in common with the Superadios but not necessarily any of the other circuitry that made the "superadios" what they were. That's all I'm saying.