View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
The damper tube may be OK but a 6DW4/6CJ3/6CK3/6CH3 is easy to find. I have too many. I scrapped many RCA's with bad flys over the years. It also sounds as if the 2AV2 is shorted, if it pegs the tester meter

Have you monitored the DC voltage on the 6JE6 grid? Usually the more negative it is, the lower cathode current would be. There are several .033-.068? caps across the horz eff coil too, which could cause it not to "dip" properly.

I have been able to lower the current in all post-CTC11 RCA's (not sure why yours increases beyond 220) by switching to the high line voltage tap on the power transformer primary.
Dave and Electronic Memory a little bit of progress has been made!

I replaced one cap between the h osc and hor output, i replaced the hor eff coil I broke with a metal tool, now i have a plastic one . I replaced the 3a3 hv rect and 6bk4 shunt tube. Also subbed the 2av2. I swapped the damper and hor osc. I cleaned up the fire works show under the shunt tube. I hooked everything up and fed my nes into the vhf side of the tuner with a coaxial to uhf splitter.

Fired it up. This time as the hv comes up it goes between 200-240 ma instead of climing up to 300ma! I didnt have the anode cupped into the crt all the way and saw crazy high voltage. I shut it off and planted the cup in better.

So NOW theres still no sound, video, or vert/hor deflection BUT when you turn the set off theres a flash of something.

Also I can hear the hv forming around the cup of the flyback. Maybe I need to add another layer of silicon because it seems theres lots of corona forming.

Im afraid to keep it on longer than for the hv to come up because I dont know what its gonna do if I keep it on.

I will check voltages maybe with the hor output tube pulled out that way I can run it and check the B+ without being a nervous wreck.

I am happy to see the cathode current peak at 240ma instead of 300ma.

Edit: Ive been getting so worked up working on this thing I havent even checked B+ at the power supply or any screen voltages. Thinking of basic routine checks has been over shadowed by an almost fear/excitement combo. I will check B+, screen voltages, etc.

Last edited by ZenithNut; 12-30-2018 at 02:04 PM.