View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Motorola Minion

WPVI (WFIL 1947-72) has remained on low band channel 6, having to increase power (more than one FCC construction permit) in order to overcome undersized antennas and higher noise levels that pixellate DTV by causing bit error rates. Prior to the transition to ATSC, WPVI 6 reached NYC, all of NJ, DE, northern MD and well into the Poconos and Appalachians.

The VHF band is so loaded with noise from switch-mode power supplies, both radiated from fluorescent and LED lamps with electronic ballasts and drivers. The harmonic content of the non-sinusoidal current drawn is pretty harsh, just move a portable FM radio close to one and see.

But with DTV that shows a poor signal level, the only way you can tell WHY is to check you location with a spectrum analyzer(I don't own one0 or a SDR-Sharp application that turns your laptop into one. Signal to Noise is more relevant with ATSC.

Any CFL/fluoescent lighting system with a real iron-core transformer, like old T12 lamps is a radio-friendly system. Don't upgrade to "energy star"

I agree it was a bad idea to keep VHF for DT yet dead spots still exist for UHF and VHF does seem to work there. I sent a Winegard HD7697 and CM7777 preamp with my neighbor to the hunting camp in Sullivan County and all he could get was two VHF channels from Binghampton, NY. and not any of the Wilkes-Barre Scranton area transmitters now both on VHF and UHF.

Prior to Wilkes Barre getting local UHF in 1952, all TV in NE PA came at least 50 miles from channel 12, (pre-transition) of WBNG, if at all.