View Single Post
Old 07-27-2023, 05:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have any of you guys ever used a "leaky" coax as an antenna? I was researching antenna options for UHF broadcasting which brought me to this, which seems like it could perhaps be a great option for my interconnected metal buildings. I haven't tested the UHF transmission of combined channels yet, but I did find this diagram in the manual for my UHF modulator which shows the output connected to an amplifier and antenna: fig 2. http://files.d-tools.com/Visualizati...-1_Manual1.pdf

It actually shows the modulator output running to a splitter which then goes to both wired coax and wireless, but I have no need to do that in my situation. (The UHF broadcasts will be VHS simulcasts)

My mini modulators don't have power supplies built-in, but I think I fixed a lot of the interference by replacing my old MIPS-12 power supply with a new MIPS-12D, and also additionally skipping channel 2 as this channel had more issues on older sets than any others. It's still not 100% perfect, but I have to really be looking to see the issues in most cases, and I feel like they're likely in line with the sorts of issues that were present in TV signals when I was younger.

As for the question, "How are you verifying the actual carrier frequency of the modulators?" Currently I'm not. I'm just learning all of this. How would I verify this? Also, if it was out of calibration, is there anything I could do about it? I don't recall seeing any adjustment pots inside but I didn't look for them when I changed the jumpers.

So far, I've managed to get things pretty functional by just eyeballing. I would like to learn how to set this stuff up properly over time, as I'm able to acquire the needed testing equipment. Right now, I don't have much in the way of testing equipment asides from a multimeter, CRT tester, and a pattern generator.

I also will need to learn how to set an RF amp. Currently I'm setting it to the lowest amplification level that doesn't cause static, and I'm setting the slope to nothing in particular.