View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
:-P Thought I had one of these, too! Just went downstairs to look. The Zenith I have says model X347W on the back. It too is AM/FM stereo (with phono inputs) and a separate 2nd channel speaker. It's a series set, not too high end. Found this one at the dump (imagine that) in very good shape.

EDIT: Is this the one in question?

The radio and speaker look just like the ones I have (no cart though). I did NOT see the MJ1035 number on the back though. Is that a chassis number?
My MJ1035 does show the model number (MJ1035-1), stamped on the back cover. The chassis number is 11J01.

X347W? Hmmm. I've seen pix of those radios here on AK (I think AK member kg4cna, Allen Scofield, has one, as he shows a picture of such in his avatar), but to the best of my knowledge it's not stereo. I saw the pic of yours, however, and it definitely looks like an MJ1035.

The MJ-1035 was one of Zenith's first attempts at designing and marketing an FM stereo radio for home use (the company first introduced it in 1961 and came out with a 12-tube version, the MJ-1035W1, a few years later); for monophonic FM the reception is good in urban to near-suburban areas, but apparently the stereo reception beyond about 15 miles (read far-suburban and beyond) leaves a lot to be desired. I saw a post about the MJ1035 on the Antique Radios site (www.antiqueradios.com) the other day which addressed this problem (if one can call it a problem), but did not mention that it can be worked around by the use of an external FM antenna as opposed to the line-cord antenna. (Even a cheap pair of TV rabbit ears will probably work better in all but fringe areas than the line-cord antenna.) I live some 35 miles east of most Cleveland FM stations and can hear every one of them (in mono) very well on my MJ1035, just using the built-in antenna. Haven't tried the phono inputs yet, though, although at first I was toying with the idea of connecting my solid-state Radio Shack SCT11 tape deck to them....until I recently saw a post from Chad Hauris stating (in paraphrase) that there is a risk of shock if the blocking capacitor fails (in most of these radios in use today the capacitor probably failed years ago), and a grounded device is connected to the jacks.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.