View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
well when I turn the pulley/tuning capacitor by hand all the way up and down the dial it doesn't seem to give any resistance, and like I said when I do that the tuning knob turns with it, but when I go to turn the tuning knob it wont engage with the rest of the tuning mechanism, it just "spins freely" between the string even though the string still has two turns around the tuning knob and has plenty enough tension to cause it to turn the knob when rotating the large pulley by hand but the knob itself just doesn't want to engage the tuning mechanism itself...

EDIT: I completely took apart and restrung the dial string for the tuning knob assembly and it still isn't wanting to engage the tuning mechanism with the tuning knob, but yet the tuning knob will turn with the tuning mechanism if I turn the large pulley by hand with my finger so I'm still stumped as to what could of happened with this radio's tuning mechanism when it fell to cause it to do this.
By turning the big pulley, you're dealing with something like a 20:1 ratio. The tuning shaft doesn't present much of a resistance. Two turns sounds alright. A few times, I had to rough up the tuning shaft with a file. The area where the cord wraps around gets smooth, after a while.
It takes a lot of picky-picky experimenting to get if right once in a while.
Why it changed after the drop, is anyones guess.