View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
When I signed up for this forum, I was driving my Diesel Jeep Liberty.
They only built two model years of them for the US market, 2005 and 2006.
The Diesel emissions ruling changed for the 2007 model year. They still continued to build the Jeep Diesel, but only for sale to the export market. They felt the demand in the US wasn't great enough to meet the new emissions standards.
IIRC, they're building a Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee now for the US market.
My beloved Dieseljeep was totaled in a freak accident on December 10, 2009.
I felt no need to change my user name.
Ah, that's a cryin' shame! you would of thought that with as many Diesel Mercedes-Benz's and Volkwagens that sold here over the past 40 years you would of thought that Daimler (who owned Chrysler at the time and is the parent company of Mercedes-Benz) would of made and sold more diesels under the Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge badges...

Anyways back on topic, the radio is still going to be kind of tricky to try and get going as I have to still patch some wire yet that was chewed up by mice, and the tuning string issue as well, I also have to try and figure out how to replace the bakelite bezel on the front of the radio cabinet as its warped and cracked in several places, I had seen one like what I needed on the Radio Daze Website but they wanted $30 for it which is way more than I can afford to spend on this radio to get up and running again...

Also I have an issue with my mom thinking that I have too many radios in my place (she thinks I'm being a hoarder even though I'm not) and she is trying to get me to get rid of my radios even the ones I'm currently working on restoring so I can resell them once I get my own shop space from a friend of mine who runs a flea market near me, she also wants me to get rid of the radios I have that I had already gotten working and I'm just waiting to get my shop going so I can sell them.

And the way my mom is when she says something needs to go she means it needs to go into the trash, not be sold, which is quite annoying because I put lots of hard work into some of my radios to get them working agains so I could actually sell them for profit, bu she doesn't seem to understand that part of the deal and still is going to insist that I throw the radios in the garbage.

How would I go about trying to explain to my mom that the radios are more than just garbage and that there is an actual collectors market for these radios and that I should be allowed to keep these radios that are going or that are almost up and running except for a couple of parts that are needed to finalize the working order of the radios so I can try and sell them to get my moneys worth out of them without trying to upset her (as she can get very upset very easily if I'm not on the same page as she is on something like this). Also my mom seems to think that my house (actually my little section of the house as I live in a smaller house with a house mate) stinks because of the radios and other antiques I have and she thinks that me getting rid of ALL of my old radios will get rid of the stink (which I don't even notice a smell of any sort in the house) and she even thinks that the smell has crept into my clothing (which that's not the case, what's she smells on my clothes is the smell of old growth walnut wood that has a distinct smell which is what my 1940s vintage dresser is made out of not the "old electronics" smell she thinks she's smelling.) Anyways like I said I really want to try and talk my mother out of her crazy idea of making me throw out my radios that I had put lots of money and hard work into getting running so that I could turn around and resell them later on but like i said I don't know how to approach my mom about this without upsetting her and making her think that I'm trying to hoard radios (when that's just not the case, I'm just trying to use my talents for electronics repair/restoration to try and make some extra money on the side since I currently do not have a steady job at the moment.

Last edited by Captainclock; 07-30-2015 at 12:34 AM.