View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 02:00 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And I worked a little on the 75. I removed and straightened out that metal piece on the front. (I still have to finish cleaning it and glue it back on.) This set had just one broken antenna rod. I replaced it with one of the other ones I had using the same process I did with the two on the white set. Unfortunately, it's longer than the original ones. And I only had 3 of the other rods, so I couldn't replace them both. But I'd still rather have the antenna rods uneven than have one broken.

You can see what the antennas look like taken apart in the 2nd pic. And there's a pic of our new cat we got a few weeks ago (she was living in an abandoned house across the street), checking out the 75 Zenith.
Good to know you have that 1975 Zenith TV working, even if the VHF antenna rods aren't quite the same length. As long as it works, that's all that matters.

I hope you discharged the CRT in that TV before your cat started nosing around inside it. The aquadag coating on all CRTs is in effect a large capacitor, and can hold a charge for a very long time--weeks, months, even years (!).

BTW: I'd hate to hear of your cat being injured or even killed by that static charge, or by any other cause (Heaven forbid!). I'm sure you would miss her very much if anything like that were to happen to her. I have a 9-year-old mixed-breed cat, Kiki, whom I love very much, and I'd certainly miss her if I lost her for any reason. She doesn't poke around in dangerous places, though, so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

BTW (2): I like your avatar, which shows one of your cats on top of a Zenith SC300 table model TV. That's one nice thing about the old CRT TVs--they were large enough for a cat to climb on top of. I once had a cat that liked to jump on top of my RCA CTC185, but my current cat couldn't do that with the flat panel I have now. She doesn't jump on the stand anyway (though she used to), so I don't worry about the flat set being knocked off and landing almost certainly on the screen.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.