View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did I just ...... my 1950s Philco TV set?

Greetings from the North... Looking for a bit of help though I think I totally screwed my project.
I am so used to restoring speakers and never tackled a vintage television.
My tech who rebuilt my monoblock amplifiers gave me a 1950s Philco Black and White television set.
Today I decided to start the restoration for it because I thought it would be mega for the ol-cave...
Well behind the front glass screen cover plate there was a bunch of dead spiders, insects and other garbage. I noticed that one could not get to the back of the glass unless one pulls the tube and innards out from behind.
Anyway, I removed the back cover exposing the inside. I removed the screws that anchors the electrical portion to the bottom of the case. I disconnected the speaker. I then disconnected the connections from the tube. One of the plugs removed without issue. I went to disconnect the connector that goes over the very back of the tube itself. As I disconnected the connector the tube broke off inside the connector.
I presume this ......ed the television itself.
I removed the piece and tried to glue it back into place. Seemed to work... Connected everything back up as it was after vacuuming all the crap out.
Hooked it all up and turned it on...
I noticed that I did get sound but no picture.
I looked in through the back and noticed all the tubes were lighting up as per normal and the back of the video-tube, where the break happened, seemed to be lighting up as well... Though from the front there was no picture whatsoever. The picture tube seemed to be dead.
I guess my question is... did I royally........the television set beyond repair or is there something of an easy fix/remedy?
Thank you in advance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3064.jpg (86.3 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Marzutra; 06-10-2017 at 09:12 PM.