View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Foggy old engineer

thanks for the replies, guys. I was up way past my usual. I work 5am to 2pm Tues - Sat and usually am cutting Zs by 8 or 9. Must have been the ice cream. The TO is a model 1000-1 with what I presume to be a date stamp of 11/11/66 in blue on the chassis inside. I once had a 7000, and a Sony 5100 that was a sort-of TO, but this old 1000 has been really good to me. I have stickers on it from a couple of trips to Europe back in the 90s (used to be a travelling musician and did my swan-song tour at the age of 46 before coming home and un-retiring to work on computers). It has no knob on the band-selector, and I've been changing bands with a pair of pliers for more than 20 years, but it's my buddy, right? I lived in a cabin (28x12 with a loft) in the deep woods for a long time. I'd set it on a stump while doing chores in the yard and garden and listen to AM and shortwave. Always had a thing for distant stations. The world is a lot further away and a lot bigger for those without satellite or cable tv. Of course now I've got the sat stations and a 32" tv, DVD and sound system, blah-blah, but I still retreat to the office for sanity's sake. Currently building a mono system with a 1956 Klipsch short-horn, Phase Linear 400 amp, Marantz 3200 preamp, and Pioneer TX-6800 tuner. Looking for a 15" 16ohm woofer for the Klipsch. Also casting about for a tube amp kit. I've been away from this stuff for a long time, and am constantly amazed by the prices attached to tube stuff. Gee, while I was sleeping the tube market went from extinction to high-dollar rage. Makes me pine away for the warehouse full of stuff I've sold, lost (2 exes), or given away over the years. Could have financed a nice retirement on all that stuff.

Thanks for the tips and links. I'll check 'em out. Nice friendly bunch here.

Cheers