View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
This guy: https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

If you can't find the part then perhaps you can put the original back into shape or fabricate another. I have a high-end Admiral tube stereo portable changer where the tonearm is plastic...The back where it connects to the pivot was mashed up, but I was able to piece it back together such that it works like new and unless taken apart and scrutinized is indistinguishable from factory...Only thing that sucks about that changer is that the LP styli chipped off and I can't source a replacement (Twas a great sounding unit when the styli was still there).
I soldered the sub-plate back on, and that worked out fine. The part that I can't seem to fix is the metal bracket that the tone arm pivots up and down on. It's made from a solid piece of metal bent up at both ends, and one of the ends broke right in the middle of the bend.

I've soldered it back together, but it won't take the pressure. If it were a bog-standard VM changer, I wouldn't sweat it....but you just don't see too many of these Zenith built belt/idler drive changers with the cobra style tone arm. I think 1961 was pretty much the only year for them and 1962 brought the micro-touch 2G style arms.
Audiokarma