View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanAlley View Post
The horizontal board gives me a known bad circuit that I can comfortable work with for practice.

The transistor from the NOS board is the exact same NPN as on the original board. I put the meter in diode mode and connected the positive to the base (the E, B and C are clearly marked on the metal tab). I connected the negative lead to the collector and got a reading. I then connected the negative to the Emitter and got a reading. I then connected the positive to the emitter and the negative to the collector and got nothing. I reversed the leads and got nothing.

I put that transistor back on the board, install the board and the TV won't fire up other than sound. If I take the transistor from the old board and put it in the new board, it works like a charm.

I guess I'll just let this one go. Since I seem to be doing it correctly, maybe there's something else wrong Maybe the sockets don't like the legs of this one (they are gold plated unlike the older, working one). Maybe it has a thing about flashy transistors.

Anyway, I'll just wait for the scope and my brother.
in the diode mode did you reverse the polarity after the Base to Emitter same for reverse the Base to collector? diode checks must be made both ways same on transistor, you must check base to emitter and base to collector BOTH ways.