View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The CRT's were very reliable, even the foreign made CRT's. The main trouble I had with the CTC135/36 were on electronic tuning models that used an MTT series tuner module. Those would develop loose connections inside the module that would cause all sorts of strange problems, including shorting of the horizontal output transistor on the main chassis. Of course, none of this applies to your set because it uses a standard rotary tuner.

Besides lightning strikes, I can't think of any chassis problem that I've seen on one of these. I'm sure others who were actually in the repair business have seen more of these and can tell you more than I can; but, these seem to be very reliable. Most of the ones that I worked on were the electronic tuning models and many of them were gifts from people who no longer wanted them.

I too am amazed at the number of working items people will throw out. About a year or so ago, my neighbor was moving and threw out a 13" knob tuned Goldstar color TV that was about the same age as this set. I brought it home and it worked fine. I ended up giving it to a friend and I think he still uses it.