Thread: RCA CTC-36 Woes
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Replaced some weak tubes in the CTC-36 today, and it seemed like the convergence drifted a bit when I decided to put up a crosshatch pattern.

Whoever at RCA that decided to put those convergence boards right underneath the top vents for the set should be shot dead, if he's still alive . Right where all the crap can fall right into it and screw up everything. BAH.

Half the controls do nothing, and I couldn't bring it back in to convergence perfectly. Vertical convergence is spot on, but horizontal, especially the right lower where you need to use those tuning slugs, is off. Incidentally, I discovered that the size for said slugs is a 2.5mm allen wrench, in case someone needs to know and decides to hit up Mother Google for the answer.

It's watchable, but dammit, I can almost never get proper convergence on an old color set....either the plastics holding something together crumble like an Egyptian scroll, or I can feel one of the control wipers skipping, or I turn it and it just does nothing

Can these pots be replaced with anything off the shelf? I have a spare convergence board that I'd give a shot at rebuilding, IF I could get new pots.