View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Motorola Minion

I have seen a Winegard like that, the Powertron P-55 or without the amp, Colortron C-42. My grandma got one out up after the 1971 Chromacolor was delivered. The model was made for decades as a workhorse where 3 or more VHF channels in the same direction made a broadband VHF necessary.

In most areas from 30 out to 55 miles, this antenna with a 5-foot boom tended to perform as well fringe-rated log-periodics twice that size and compared without the amp! JFD, Jerrold and Channel Master did not have a smaller budget model that would work like that in a standard fringe location. Of course, if directivity and ghost rejection was criteria, the biggest antenna is the best.

In the 80s and 90s, the VHF-UHF chromstar line was a huge seller but a variation of this little wonder was still available in "TV man" line and I have one of those. Gone are the "W"s punched out in the rear driven element bracket you see.

That was 1962 and what I like about your pictures is the three-phase high tension lines and cross-arms look awful close, probably to embellish the folly of Lucy on a roof, though its clearly on a movie set
Winegard ad 1962.pdf

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.