View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
IMHO the only "auto color" that worked was VIR. Used first in
top line GE's ( of all people ! ) then Panasonic had some.
We had one of the first GE sets when I was a kid. The station never got it set right so when it was activated you'd get bright blue faces, etc. We just turned it off after a few days.

Quasar also sold some VIR sets in that era, probably around 1979-1980. I worked in a shop that sold and serviced Quasar sets and one year on family vacation I pestered my dad to drop by the Quasar factory in Franklin Park since we had to pass through Chicago anyway. Somehow (I'll always love my dad for this), he got off the highway, went to a pay phone, called up the factory and explained that he had a 15-year-old son in the car who wouldn't shut up about Quasars. Eventually he got connected to...someone in a suit who said sure, come on by. So that morning my precocious 15-year-old self and my extremely bored family got to spend an hour or so touring the assembly line, watching workers stick components in DynaModules as they headed for a wave-soldering line, and pestering the guy in the suit with awkward questions about whether the new DynaColor with VIR could correct a bad color signal from the station, and why Audio Spectrum Sound didn't sound any better than the regular speakers.

Anyway. Quasar had VIR for a year or two.