View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
As long as it is around 600 you will be just fine.
600? I haven't been employed for over 14 years, and my current FICO credit score is 790. You may think you'll be fine with a 600, but if you do need a loan, you'll be paying a lot more than I would. Check on used car loans for example. A low number like yours will get you a 12%+ interest rate. A number like mine will get me an interest rate under 3%. Do what you can to achieve and maintain a high score, you never know when circumstances will put you in need of some financial help.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-score

The average credit score in the United States is currently at an all-time high of 695. Though different scoring models exist, which cause this figure to fluctuate by a few points, most fall between 660 to 720. This coincides with what the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau defines as 'prime' - an average score. Approximately 14% of the population has no credit score whatsoever, and is labeled as credit invisible. As a result, these underbanked individuals will have difficulty obtaining new lines of credit.

In the eyes of lenders, credit scores fall into several buckets, which indicate how risky it may be to extend credit to an individual. Outside of playing a role in approvals for a loan or credit, these scores can also impact an individual's lending terms. Perhaps the most important terms among those are interest rates. The higher an individuals credit score, the lower their quoted APR will typically be.

Credit scores typically break down in the following manner:

720 or more: Excellent
660 - 719: Average/Fair
620 - 659: Poor
620 or lower: Bad