View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wa2ise
And I thought that TV in Europe was supposed to be better than American TV. Do you still have to pay a TV tax there? Something about having to have a license just to receive TV, much less transmit it.
Yep - £98 last year IIRC for a service covering digital TV - a service I can't get. You're supposed to be able to get a discount if in "poor reception areas" but I don't. I don't see why I should fund digital TV if I can't receive it. Grrrr. Sorry - whine over. Oh - at least registered blind people get a half price licence now - none of that patronising 50p off any more.

I'd not mind so much, but ITV/CH4 are getting EXACTLY like US TV - not so much the programming, as the frequency of the ads and the fact that even WITH the ads, every programme is sponsored by something.

I actually preferred US TV when I was there for a fortnight in 1992 (I was 16) - for one thing, you lot had McGiver (sp?) episodes waaaaaay in advance of the UK. But those damn TV ads...

Mind you, in the late 80s here in the UK, I actually generally preferred the adverts to the programmes on ITV! He he...

Why oh why do they insist on making the adverts about 100dB louder than the programmes though? I might well check out the phenomenon on the level meters on my video at some point to see just HOW much louder they are... I hate that!
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had