View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Im learning some record-specific considerations here but it sounds like the best cart for old records is a magnetic, 78s are all mono so no issue there.

I had a Philco-branded V-M with a powerpoint. It is a self contained flip-over stylus-ceramic like a Astatic 710. It should work without adding any more preamp stages
I agree highly with the magnetic choice. Big issues are: Does the turntable have a 1/2" mount? Is there a 4 pole motor? Can the tonearm be operated, and the changer trip properly at 3 grams or below? Some changers, no problem. Many others lack options in this aspect, or easily fitted changers which do. My 1966 Fisher Electra VIII is fitted with a Dual 1010 changer, with a 4 pole motor, and a Pickering V 15 F cartridge. and I could even upgrade that changer to the lighter tracking Dual 1009, 1019, or the small chassis Dual 1200 family like the superb 1218. And my Fisher's preamplifier/tuner section has a magnetic phono stage with RIAA fitted (but cost nearly $800 new in 1966).
Audiokarma