View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Well, I'm in Halifax (nothing to be proud of I know) and am willing to lend a hand. I'm the kind who will keep going until a problem is licked and am only satisfied with my work when I've given it my all.
Ah, nice. I used to use Hamblen's for my audio gear however after taking a Pioneer SA9900 to them for servicing - it went back 3 times because the problem was never repaired -but they told me they wouldn't work on it any more. Nice guys though.
Took this same piece to Peak Audio and was told 5-6 different stories (lies) from the sales guy that was different from their tech, who seemed to be pretty good however the same 9900 ended up being totally mangled. Had to sell this, formerly mint piece, for parts and or repair because the lost the top cover plate...(and it was still crap...) Here in Truro, there's one elderly gent who runs- ran - a tv repair shop but I think he's retired now and he's a very disgruntled person...for right or wrong..lol

"So that set is probably from 1958. Another clue would have been that it uses Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), they stared appearing around that time. Early PCB weren't very good. The copper traces tend to come loose when re-soldering/replacing parts. Your restorer guy may know about this. Its probably safer to clip the leads of the old components and solder the new ones to the stubs. Another problem was that the tubes and other heat producing parts weren't spaced away from the board material and it scorches after a while."
Very interesting. Don't know if he does. I'll mention it to him. I did notice a piece was very hot. Don't know what the piece is but it was hot...lol I know absolutely nothing about electronics...