View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I have two TAB "Japanese Color TV service manual" volumes that cover the KV1200 and KV1201/12, since I have had a KV1210 for 30+ years I forget but I bleeve I had this problem. It sounds like you're on the right track. PM me If you want a scan emailed.

Thank you for the offer, lets wait and see what happens when I put the new Transistor in.

I replace the three electrolytics on the Osc board and fired it up with the Transistor removed to see what would happen, without the transistor in place I still get just a vertical line but it's now bright white and perfectly straight up and down, and it fills the entire height of the screen, the oscillator is clearly heard running.

I put the transistor back in just in case I had misread the Ohms readings but it still doesn't sweep, it does however reduce the brightness and make the line green and bendy so it's probably dragging the power supply down I would guess, the surprising thing is nothing smokes or pops with this shorted power transistor in place.
Hopefully I will get the replacement next week sometime.

Kind of an odd set that has the HV circuit separate from the H sweep, it's like some of the vintage sets that used an RF high voltage supply.

I have a sweep transistor in an old Panasonic 5" Pop Up set but it's rated at 50w where the one in the Sony is rated at 125w, it might last a few seconds if I packed it in Ice before I powered it up.