View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Followin' the Rules...

One additional fact - demo mode used by stores amps up the brightness and color to overcome the bright lights in the store. This shortens the life of the set considerably - Best Buy tailored sets are the exception - (no demo mode in most)- there may be others..

Manufacturers make sets that are specifically "tailored" to the merchant. My Samsung model (670-suffixed) was a Best Buy exclusive, and it's "Smart"/Samsung apps had Amazon instant video locked out by the firmware. An online posting showed me how to upgrade the firmware to another model (suffixed 650, same except for where it was sold), and lo and behold, I had the full Samsung Apps choices. It also came up in demo mode, something the old firmware lacked.

By running them in demo mode, it shortens the life of the set considerably. Go into any Target store, and you'll find a wall of sets in demo mode, which removes remote access, provides overlays (feature banners), and activates only one HDMI port. I did a seasonal stint with Target, and came away with some secrets, so to say. Demo modes are factory guesses, and Sanyo can't seem to get it right. We setup Sanyo's in normal mode, and adjusted the settings manually. They are also some of the lightest sets....

Those $99 clearance 46" sets you see at retailers are the former demo sets - do yourself a favor and pass. I inherited a 55" Vizio of my neighbors that was a display set at Walmart. It lasted just 16 months before it ate the main board and two of the backlight LEDs.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!