View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The link don't work for me....404 error.
While IMO there are much worse news sources than CNN, I'm not surprised to see this level of "journalism" from them or most other main-stream news outlets these days....Journalism ain't what it used to be.
I agree, Tom. I don't get CNN anymore (downgraded my cable service recently), but I do watch NBC Nightly News most nights and have found the same thing--that television journalism, like everything else, is nothing like what it once was. Local TV news, and to a certain extent the nightly newscasts from the major networks (especially NBC), often does not check to be sure they have the facts on a given story, and the English grammar used by the assignment reporters and anchors is less than polished these days; today's local and national TV newscasters are not of the same caliber as Chet Huntley and David Brinkley (NBC, 1956-1970), Walter Cronkite (CBS, '50s-early '90s) and whomever anchored ABC world news at that time (I do not watch ABC news often enough to know much about the quality, or lack of it, of their nightly newscast). Today's local and national TV news is formatted, written and produced on strict deadlines, which means if there are any mistakes (and there are, all too often), they are usually not corrected before air time. Television news anchors or field reporters are not permitted to ad-lib or change the wording of news stories; they read those stories as they are written, mistakes and all.

NBC's news is consistently #3 (excluding Fox) in the ratings, quite possibly due to the foregoing. I hate to say it, but the network may find itself out of the broadcast TV news business before long if they do not shape up--and soon. Today's local and national anchors may not be as good as H/B or Cronkite were, but that is no excuse for the slipshod manner in which most newscasts go out over the networks and local stations in this century. The American people deserve to see and hear quality newscasts on television from the local stations and networks, but I don't think we are going to see anything even close to that any time soon.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma