Thread: dvr's gone
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'm stuck in an annoying position. The TV shows I timeshift/archive are (only) on cable and the damn local cable company encrypts literally every channel on QAM so the only way to tune it is with one of their damn cable boxes which only output RF or HDMI...I can record the RF NTSC outputs of the box but I want to watch my HD late night shows in HD without staying up (and also save them for the future)...

So far my situation seems to have no foolproof solution for recording. I wish they could just make these products as reliable as VHS decks were...I should not have to try a bunch of products to find some magic combination that works.
The Chinese companies producing these shitty HDMI capture boxes should be ashamed of themselves.
Those Chinese companies know no shame man. Their innovation in past centuries was impressive, but today they're just crapping all over their own legacy while breaking international laws and ignoring basic codes of ethics.

I saw this a while back, it may not be a practical solution but it's the only thing that comes to mind:

https://www.blondertongue.com/mddm-860.html