View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 11:46 PM
<----Zenith C845

My mother had always wanted a Cadillac, ever since our next-door neighbor in my home town got a canary-yellow one. My dad finally got my mother a 1957 Caddy, white, with maroon interior, for around $600 from a man who lived a couple of streets over from us. The fellow apparently told my dad the reason the car was being sold so cheaply was the ashtray was full (as a joke popular at the time had it), and it was. I remember seeing that ashtray so full cigarette butts were falling out of the back of the dashboard. It was a nice car (I have 35mm slides of it), but gee whiz, it had more stuff wrong with it than you could shake a stick at. Dad had the transmission overhauled to the tune of $180 (in late-'50s-early sixties dollars; such an overhaul would cost double or triple that, or more, these days) when the transmission started shifting either too early or too late, the power steering and power brakes went bad, and a whole host of other things went wrong. However, I guess that's how it is with a Cadillac. I understand even the hood ornaments on those cars cost around $250 or more.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.