View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Ni-Cd batters are not that popular anymore....having been supplanted by NI-MH and LI-oh or LI-Po types--which have FAR More energy density and capacity for given ounce of cell weight. I also think that it is figured that one will NOT bust open an old -NI-CD battery and then grind the cadmium in the mixture to find dust and then stand there an BREATHE the dust...

As for chassis plating....I THINK it wa smore along the line of "didn't know better" back then....about the health risks of Cadmium dust and such. Just like asbestos.... I would say it is a lOT more hazardous to breathe cadmium over the short-term than asbestos though...

I have watched an old film on production of the 1929-30 Philco radio chassis sets and cabinets. It is SCARY...how LITTLE regard to worker safety there was then. NO interlocks on the metal presses. NO ventillation over the area where wood was being glued...with a LOT of fumes coming up and NO respirators on the workers...etc...etc..
Interesting... Anyways I was just noticing that the record player on this unit doesn't seem to be grounded very well as it hums like crazy when one picks up the tone arm to set it down on a record to play it, but then the humming settles down when my hand is away from the tone arm, also like I said I noticed that the humming noise I was hearing earlier is dependant on the volume control and tone control although it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the filter caps anyhow just to be on the safe side, I was looking at the antique electronics supply website and they have a 20/20/20/20 @ 475 volts can capacitor for sale there for $35 which I would almost rather do that than try to mount a terminal strip on the underside of the chassis and have to fuss with the wiring of each individual cap, plus I want to try and make this look as original as possible, and also replacing all of the paper caps would probably help out a bit with this things overall performance.