View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 09:36 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
For those that are interested in UK/European UHF Antennas/Aerials.

I just had my UHF TV aerial changed, there was water in the cable. it was one like the one below. It was wideband channels 21-68. The new one is a log periodic UHF 21-60 like the one below. I live about 25 miles from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. Each multiplex is output at 200kw, both new and old require a mast top amplifier and power supply in the house.

Interestingly, modern aerials use F-Connectors (like satellite TV) and not traditional aerial plugs or hard wired.

The old one was on a 10ft pole - the new one a less rattly 6ft...

Needless to say i get all eight Freeview Multiplex’s perfectly, almost £200 down... oh well.

Patrick
North Worcestershire, UK
The antenna on the left looks like a shorter version of the Antennas Direct XG-91. I own one and it is not a rugged unit at all, having a mixture of aluminum and ferrous components plus snap-in plastic stuff but it works about as good as my other Yagi UHF antennas on band IV.

The antenna on the right looks exactly like a Blonder Tongue design, which is an expensive one in the US due it's commercial-duty market. I have yet to find or try one of them. Since the US has retained all the previous VHF and only the UHF channels 14-36, former UHF designs (ch. 14-69) could all use some tweaks now.

The US has many areas that are extremely difficult to cover with UHF, VHF was retained because it is less affected by trees, hills, etc.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-23-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Audiokarma