Thread: Scored a CTC-86
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ah, woodgwain eh? Yep that is the common color around here for that set, too.

I haven't had the best of luck rejuvenating these 12ers.. Usually they would come up like new and fad quickly with normal use.. Have recently exhibited this in a '74 Panasonic(which instant-on likely killed) and many others over the years.
Folks around here used these little sets as kitchen TVs apparently right up into the DTV transition. They were wildly popular and often have dead crts. FWIW, I use B and K testers/restorers exclusively, with the 466 being my go-to for most monochrome sets.
Regarding 'wrapping' the filament-Since the majority of SS chassis use fly derived filament supply, if you carefully put a couple of turns of addt'l wire around the flyback core and connect in unison to the existing hookup, you theoretically increase the typical 6.3v value by a volt or two. It can certainly open the filament if you go too wild with it. I average 8.something volts to elicit a brighter raster without blowing the tube open. I would not recommend this on a valuable set but it is a fine trick for the run o the mill jap 12" b/w..