View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are flat panel TVs dangerous to open, like old CRTs?

So, we have come into possession of a large flatscreen TV, that doesn't work very well. My son is gung ho to open it up and see if he can fix some contact or other that he thinks might be the problem (he's been watching youtube videos). Before I let him do that, I want to check about how dangerous it might be. He's pretty responsible, and if this is on the level of taking apart and putting back together a computer, there's no problem. If it were on the level of an old CRT television where you really do need to know what you're doing to be sure you don't hurt yourself, I probably wouldn't let him do it. I'm guessing that it is somewhere in between--can you tell me where in that range it falls?

My expectation is that the TV ends up at the dump in either case, but if he can get an educational experience out of the deal without unreasonable risk, I'm up for that. (To be clear, I haven't taken apart an old CRT before, but I mess around with old radios, so I'm not entirely wet behind the ears.)

Thanks,
Mike