View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 02:41 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrologia View Post
My expectation is that the TV ends up at the dump in either case, but if he can get an educational experience out of the deal without unreasonable risk, I'm up for that.
Good outlook. Large capacitors can hold a charge for a good while and give you a nasty zap. In general, that's more of a nuisance than a danger. The fluorescent lights that illuminate the screen (assuming it's an LCD) run on high voltage, but again that's not particularly dangerous, just zappy. If the device is plugged in, however, everything will naturally be live and those capacitors especially can really hurt, and actually burn, I learned that one the hard way. Nothing a little basic caution won't prevent.

In short: no unreasonable risk. Besides, a little electric shock here and there will make your son a man.

Additionally, I haven't worked on too many flatscreens, but here's a couple things I've noticed, tips for your kid. The fluorescent backlights can burn out, sometimes leaving an otherwise working tv, but with a black display, sometimes making the power supply freak out and turn itself off. Power supplies can be damaged by surges in which case the set will likely do nothing, those can be obvious to fix sometimes, having burn marks and such.

Last edited by MadMan; 08-30-2020 at 02:46 AM.