View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Escanaba was/is a Mill Town- Mead Paper Co., & as such, at least SOME of the residents were rather well paid. Back in my former life as a Purchasing Agent for a printing concern, I sweated bullets-especially during the winter months, waiting on trucks from Escanaba.. TV DXing was/is still possible, at least up until they turned off NTSC... I used to go up on top of this local tall hill, w/a JVC 4.5" color set, & could easily receive stations from all over the Southeast... I got all the local network feeds, a BUNCH of independents, & a few that I never really worried about trying to identify. One night me & a buddy were up there, & there were a bunch of strange lights on top of this mountain range that was over in the Smokies. The fact we were up on top of a mountain in winter, watching TV, you ask ? Hey, it was simply "Something To Do", just to get outta the house for at least a little while. We stopped at the Police Station & reported our strange encounter, & got THEM a bit concerned. Next day, one of the cops got back to me, & said it was the "DEW" line we saw-the Air Force must have been doing a bit of night training. Yeah, we got Bongo-52s over head on a regular basis back in the 60s, when I was a tadpole. Oncet one was so low, & was banked enuf to where I could see the co-pilot... I dutifully waved, & I THINK he waved back...