View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
I have a Rock-Ola 488 (1982) that works, but I think it could benefit from going through the caps in the amp, as the tone switches respond "unevenly."

I also have a '62 Seeburg DS-160, last with the tube amp and visible mechanism. It's okay cosmetically - I don't plan on restoring the chrome as that's gotten too expensive. I totally recapped everything a few years ago and am very close to having it functional, but I had to store it away over two years ago. I may end up selling it when I get organized again - I haven't made up my mind yet. One thing I did was disassemble the keyboard to glue a few broken keys back together, and the little springs went everywhere. No clue how I'm going to put that Humpty Dumpty together again!
Hmm. on the DS160 I suspect your talking about the little brass springs that the keys pivot on as the actual keyboard selector unit unbolts from underneath as a unit like my 222.They ain't fun once they all fall out.I've been told that a trick to stop the keys from falling out when the selector unit was removed is to put a strip of masking tape across them. I suspect you could take out the chrome holding the keys and assemble everything upside down using the masking tape to hold everything until it was reassembled.

They finally put metal retainers to hold the keys in so they didn't fall out when the selector unit was removed on the non-visible LPC1 and up.

I get to have similar fun as I want my 222 rechromed when I get the funds together and get to take the keyboard and all of the trim off.Sure is expensive.