View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
I have to admit - I have some 45's in my Rock-Ola 488 that are real nice originals, some others were my Father's and played a lot over the last 40-55 years. I adjusted the tonearm weight as light as I could go on it - maybe a couple of grams. It's running a Shure M44 cartridge and I don't think it's doing any harm to them. When I bought the box there were some records in there that had some brush marks on them. After 20+ years in a restaurant lounge I guess that's to be expected.
The wear issue concerns me a bit, but in reality I probably have CD copies (or even MP3 downloads) of most of my 45s, and a lot of mine were themselves bought in the 39-cent (and later, 49-cent and 59-cent) record bins common in drug stores in the 1970's. Those bin records were, of course, taken from jukeboxes...

Before I do put any of my "good" and/or un-upgraded 45s in the jukebox once I get it working and tuned, I would at least first play them on my good turntable and make uncompressed digital copies of each.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."