View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in sort of the same boat, wanting to test the tube on my Sylvania before dim bulb/variac tests. To that end, I found and bought a Sencore CR143 that's complete and in good shape. Found the book online, too, and Dave G. sent me a nice Circuit Digest service guide on the set. But then I started second-guessing myself, wondering how to test the tester. Don't want to hook it up and nuke things before I even get started. The set is a little unique -- a 1958 Halolite Sylouette 21" -- though moreso for its cabinet and control layout than the actual chassis. Ultimately trying to decide if I'm the right guy for the restoration of this VGC set, or should I offer it up to a more-qualified owner?

I've done electronics repair, more in the op-amp audio world than tube TV, but I do have a decent scope or two, test gear (except no HV probe yet), and the ability to read instructions and follow a block diagram thru a circuit. I could not design a TV from scratch, though.

So am I good to go if the tester doesn't have obviously zapped components inside, no smells or smoke when powered up? And I just consult the manual, use the correct adapter, and plug it in to the CRT? Or should I research what voltages should be on what pins, what current they should supply, and verify all that before moving forward?

And in deference to the OP, should I get my own damn thread instead of extending his?