View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still see CRT TV's in the thrift stores; but, they don't appear to be moving very fast. I also see a few flat panels; but, they are usually either smaller sets or older bigger sets that people are getting rid of because they are over 5 years old.

I've pretty much stopped taking in any kind of TV, unless it's for my collection. For a number of years, I did really well with selling used CRT sets; but, they are not even worth fixing to resell anymore (even the less fortunate don't want them). A while back, I had a 20" Sony WEGA from 2002 (nice flat tube set with an extensive jack panel). I advertised it for $25 on the facebook "baby clothes and cell phones" pages and the only hit I got was some woman offering me $20, if it had the original remote. I told her that I'd take $20; but, for that price, she could buy her own $5 remote at the dollar store. I never heard another word from her, I eventually got pissed, pulled the ad, and gave the TV to the guy at the flea market for him to add to his collection of 30 similar type TV's that aren't moving. From now on, if any working CRT TV lands over here, I'll take it straight to the flea market and give it to them.

A while back, someone gave me a dead Samsung 32" LCD from 2012 and all it needed was a capacitor. I first thought about selling it; but, people around here would expect to get it for nothing and then they'd expect a lifetime warranty. Frankly, I don't have time for that crap, just to make a few dollars. So, the Sony I mentioned above came out of the living room and the Samsung took it's place. It's been working fine, my Mother is happy with it, and it will stay here until it dies.

In the old days, people didn't care how old a set was - just as long as it worked good. Now, they want the "latest and greatest" and they expect it for nothing.
Audiokarma